Refer to the BC Public Health Act: Food Premises Regulation on our Take a course page.
FOODSAFE and MarketSafe certificates are issued by British Columbia's Regional Health Authorities.
- If you take FOODSAFE Level 1, FOODSAFE Level 2, or MarketSafe in BC, your certificate will be issued by the Health Authority in the community where you live. Find your local Health Authority contact.
- If you take the Level 1 Refresher course in BC, your certificate will be issued by the Fraser Health Authority.
- If you live outside of BC and take a FOODSAFE or MarketSafe online course through Open School BC,your certificate will be issued by the BC Branch of the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors (CIPHI).
If you haven't received your certificate 4-6 weeks after completing your course, contact the Health Authority responsible for issuing your certificate.
If you require immediate confirmation that you passed the FOODSAFE Level 1 exam before you receive your certificate, be sure to ask your instructor for a Temporary FOODSAFE Level 1 Certificate before you leave the class.
If you take the FOODSAFE Level 1 course online and pass the exam, you will be able to print your own Temporary certificate.
As of July 29, 2013, all FOODSAFE Level 1 certificates issued in British Columbia have a five-year expiry date. FOODSAFE Level 1 certificates issued prior to July 29, 2013,are valid until July 29, 2018. To help FOODSAFE Level 1 certificate holders keep their food safety knowledge up to date, a short FOODSAFE Level 1 Refresher course is offered online by Open School BC. The approximately three-hour Refresher course covers all the essentials of the FOODSAFE Level 1 training program. A grade of 80% must be achieved in the exam to be recertified.
You may request a replacement certificate by contacting any Health Authority office in the province.
Each Regional Health Authority has a FOODSAFE contact specific to certificates. Select your region on the map below to view their contact information.
I took a food safety training course outside of B.C. Is my certificate equivalent to B.C.'s FOODSAFE Level 1?
Check the BC Centre for Disease Control's list of Food handler training courses that are equivalent to FOODSAFE Level 1.
Registration links are available from the individual course pages. See Take a course.
Payment options are explained on the course provider's registration page.
|FOODSAFE Level 1||8 hours||up to 20 days||up to 6 months|
|Level 1 Refresher||n/a||up to 10 days||n/a|
|FOODSAFE Level 2||12 hours (2 days)||up to 28 days||n/a|
|MarketSafe||6.5 hours||up to 10 days||n/a|
If you registered for a classroom course, contact information is available on the course search page. If you registered for an online course, contact Open School BC. If you registered for a correspondence course, contact go2HR.
Crown Publications, Queen's Printer (QP) publishes and distributes FOODSAFE and MarketSafe curriculum products.
Certified FOODSAFE instructors may request the exam(s) from the Regional Health Authority that issued their instructor certificates. General contact information for each Health Authority is available by selecting the appropriate region from the map below.
Instructors Outside of BC: Contact your local government agency responsible for food safety training in your province to request FOODSAFE exams.
I am a certified FOODSAFE (or MarketSafe) instructor. How can I add my name to the "Find a FOODSAFE instructor" list?
Contact the Health Authority that issued your instructor certification and request a FOODSAFE website instructor login account. Login to the website and complete and save your instructor profile. To maintain an active account, you must login every 12 months.
Contact the Health Authority that issued your instructor certification and request a FOODSAFE website organization login account. Login to the website and complete and save your organization profile. Click on the New Courses link and complete and save the course form. To maintain an active account, you must login every 12 months.
FOODSAFE instructor certificates have a five-year expiry date. To renew your instructor certification, contact your Health Authority.
Who to contact
There are FOODSAFE contacts in each of BC's Regional Health Authorities. Click on your region on the map below to view contact information for your Health Authority.
- Health Protection and Environmental Services firstname.lastname@example.org
- Comox Valley 250-331-8518
- Duncan 250-737-2017
- Nanaimo 250-755-6215
- Victoria 250-519-3401
General FOODSAFE Contact
- Heather Florence email@example.com 250-331-8518
- East Kootenay 250-420-2230
- Kootenay Boundary 250-505-7206
- Thompson 250-851-7340
- Cariboo 250-395-7676
- South Okanagan 250-770-5540, Fax 250-493-0041
- North Okanagan 250-549-5707
- Shuswap 250-833-4106
Vancouver Coastal Health
- North Shore 604-983-6793
- Vancouver 604-675-3800
- Richmond 604-233-3147
- Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton (Sea to Sky) 604-892-2293
- Powell River 604-485-3310 ext 4524
- Sunshine Coast 604-885-5164
General FOODSAFE Contacts
- North Shore Jennifer Flor Jennifer.Flor@vch.ca 604-983-6800
- Vancouver Sajan Joseph Sajan.Joseph@vch.ca 604-675-3828
- Richmond Michele Radnidge firstname.lastname@example.org 604-233-3193
- Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, Sunshine Coast,Powell River (Coast Garibaldi) Darren Molder email@example.com 604-885-8711